Aureole etc.

Golden Age singers

Nimbus on-line

Faure songs
Charlotte de Rothschild (soprano);

  Founder: Len Mullenger
Classical Editor: Rob Barnett

Listing of Reviews for Last Five Days

Some items
to consider


  • Bantock Khayyam
  • Arthur Butterworth Symphonies
  • William Wordsworth Symphonies
  • Sir John in Love
  • Violin Concertos


Vadim Gluzman - A quite extraordinarily good disc

This impressed me mightily

Shostakovich 5, 8 9
Great concentration

Let me tell you
Stratospheric Barbara Hannigan
Birmingham and BBC Proms

Berkeley - Authenticity

Highly Expressive

NØRGÅRD Stunning

Superbly played

One to treasure

One of the finest American
choral-orchestral works

from strength to strength

inspired choice

Book and CD £12

Book + 4CDs £33



Thursday May 31st

Detailed listing (last five days)]
[Part 1 New]  
 [Part 2 A-B] [Part 3 C-L]
[Part 4 M-R]  [Part 5 S-Z]
[Part 6 Misc A-L][Part 7 Misc M-Z]
[Recommended recordings]

April reviews
Previous reviews

Gerard Hoffnung CDs

Advertising on

Donate and get a free CD

New Releases

Naxos Classical

Musicweb sells the following labels
Acte Préalable
Nimbus Alliance
Prima voce
Red Priest
Toccata Classics

Follow us on Twitter

Subscribe to our free weekly review listing

Sample: See what you will get

Editorial Board
MusicWeb International
Editor in Chief
Rob Barnett
Seen & Heard
Editor Emeritus
   Bill Kenny
Editor in Chief
MusicWeb Webmaster
   David Barker
MusicWeb Founder
   Len Mullenger


Two new complete books on-line
Cannons and Flowers the memoirs of Georges Cziffra
The Music goes Round and Around by Basil Tschaikov


Elgar Symphony 2 by Arthur Butterworth

Mahler Symphony No 6 - an update of Tony Duggan's survey of recordings

Some Random Jottings about Montague Phillips’ "Dance Revels." by John France

Robert Hugill’S Music Log – April 2007

Unusual instruments in the orchestra by Arthur Butterworth

Arkivmusic has over 2000 ArkivCDs which are digital remakes of out-of-print CDs available nowhere else. New issues now contain full booklet notes link

New releases in the Musicweb shop

Pro Musica Camerata Catalogue available:£12.50 Post-free worldwide. Discs delivered direct from Poland.

Latest from Avie: Veniamin FLEISHMAN Rothschild's Violin: An opera in 1 act from the story by Anton Chekhov completed and orchestrated by Dmitri Shostakovich
The Gamblers An unfinished Opera based on the play by Nikolai Gogol

Latest from Arcodiva:Zdenek LUKAS Concerto for viola and orchestra, Divertimento for violin and viola Jiri JAROCH Fantasy for viola and orchestra

Latest from Brilliant Classics: Rachmaninov Complete Songs Sergei Leiferkus, Alexandre Naoumenko, Maria Popescu, Joan Rodgers Howard Shelley 3CDs from £10.04
Brilliant Classics 10 year Jubilee Editions

Latest from Lyrita -April releases including a NEW recording of Gordon Jacob
Symphonies 1& 2 LPO/Barry Wordsworth Price reduction - now from £12.30 post-paid



Rosslyn Chapel and Music of the Cubes by Thomas J Mitchell. Published by Diversions Books 2006. 108pp. Softback [GH]

All in all I cannot recommend you spend time on this fudge. There is however a proviso. You may think, as with the ‘Da Vinci Code’ that 95% of it is rubbish. In which case it is the remaining 5% that should worry you. ... see Full Review

Antal Dorati and the joy of making music by Richard Chlupaty [Tony Flynn]

Handsomely done but unlikely to be of interest to anyone other than Dorati fanatics ... see Full Review

BAX - A Composer and his Times by Lewis Foreman 25 b/w illustrations 616 pages [CSS]

Antonio Pappano, Con Passione by Lucrèce Maeckelbergh Pub. Uitgeverij Snoeck, 2006. 224pp. Hardback. Includes a cover mounted CD of Pappano in performance.ISBN: 90-5349-527-4 (English edition) £29.90 [ED]

A solid introduction to a conductor who ultimately engages and sustains one’s interest by the strength of his personality. ... see Full Review


MusicWeb reviewed 230 Recordings in May.
They may be found in the alphabetical index

[Part 1 New]  
 [Part 2 A-B] [Part 3 C-L]
[Part 4 M-R]  [Part 5 S-Z]
[Part 6 Misc A-L][Part 7 Misc M-Z]
[Recommended recordings]

Untitled Document

Reviews from previous months
Join the mailing list and receive a hyperlinked weekly update on the discs reviewed. details
We welcome feedback on our reviews. Please use the Bulletin Board
Please paste in the first line of your comments the URL of the review to which you refer.