2002 Film Music CD Reviews
Film Music Editor: Ian Lace
Compilation: Paul LEWIS
CAMPION CAMEO 2018
- 'The Prisoner of Zenda' (1984)
- 'Autumn Love (Theme from Spring & Autumn)' (series 1974-76)
- 'Brendon Chase' (1980)
- 'Arthur of the Britons' (1972) Suite
- 'The Big Knife-Romance for Piano and Strings' (1989) too syrupy
- 'King's Royal' (series 1981-82)
- 'The Dark Angel (A gothic Melodrama for Orchestra)' (1990)
- 'The Benny Hill Waltz' (1970s)
- 'The Island (A Mood Picture for Soprano and Orchestra)' (1976)
- 'Woof! (Fantasy)' (Series 1988-97)
- 'Wreckers at Deadeye (Overture)' (1970)
I have to confess to not being familiar with the work of Paul Lewis,
whom it transpires has worked on British television programmes for over thirty
years, but I actually find the notion of a release like this very endearing
as it's my feeling that there is a great deal of talent that should be championed
in the arena of television music.
If I say that I prefer Lewis' more robust material ('Arthur of the Britons')
to his somewhat overly sentimental romantic writing ('The Big Knife-Romance
for Piano and Strings') that may say more about me than it does regarding this
composer's music, but whatever your own personal inclinations there is certainly
enough here to command attention and respect.
As a side note, I should point out to the CD's producers that they have
made an identification error in one of their booklet photos, naming veteran
character actor Jack Watson as director Pat Jackson!
A very welcome collection and I can only hope it will be successful enough
to justify more to follow.