b Nuremberg, August 1653
d Nuremburg, March 1706, aged fifty-two
Prior to 1669 he studied music locally, then entered the University of Altdorf, also serving as organist. His father could not afford to support him at university for more than a year; but in 1670 he was given a special scholarship to the Gymnasium Poeticum in Regensburg. He went to Vienna in 1673 to become deputy organist at St Stephen's Cathedral, and in 1677 became court organist at Eisenach for a year. In 1678 he became organist at the Protestant Church at Erfurt, serving there for twelve years. He was much in demand as an organist and teacher. Four of his children became well known in their own right.
His output included a great many organ works, chamber works, arias, motets, sacred concertos, music for vespers, and masses.